By José M. López Sierra – Puerto Rico
How could the United States (US) claim to be a democracy when:
- Most US citizens want peace, while our government wants war?
- Most nations at the United Nations (UN) want a cease fire in Israel, while our government vetoes that?
- Most nations consider the US as the biggest threat to peace?
- She has 800 military bases all over the world?
- US Major General Butler said that our government uses war as a racket to enrich its oligarchs?
- 38 million Americans live in poverty, while 8 of the 10 richest men in the world are US citizens?
- She is practically the only one in the UN that wants to continue forever her illegal blockade against Cuba?
- The People’s Republic of China is the one who has already eradicated poverty at home, despite having 4 times the US’ population?
- Over 90% of the Chinese are satisfied with their government, while only 40% of Americans are satisfied with ours?
- The US has the least tax transparency in the world according to the Tax Justice Network? And,
- She has ignored 42 UN resolutions asking her to immediately return Puerto Rico’s sovereignty to the Puerto Ricans?
If the US looks like a plutocracy, walks like a plutocracy, and talks like a plutocracy, she must be a plutocracy!
Only “We the People” can create a real democracy.